Sunday, January 8, 2012

My go-to deck

The reason I first got interested in tarot where the images on the cards. I just love looking at nice pictures.
With tarot the choices are almost endless. There are so many beautiful decks.

My first deck was the Universal Waite, because someone told me this was the best deck to start with.
The images didn't speak to me at all, so when I started reading, I bought a Thoth deck. This deck I still love for its artwork.

When I started a 3 year tarot course, I had to work with the Rider-Waite tarot, so I bought a standard version. As I learned more about the cards I started to appreciate the Rider-Waite more and more and I gave a good amount of readings with it. My deck is a little worn now, which for me shows how much it is "alive".

Over the years I collected different versions of the Rider-Waite deck. The colours and the backs of the cards vary. Since I find the striped backs of the standard version horrible, I would like to use a different version.
The problem? I just can't do it :-)
Yesterday I pulled my Rider-Waite decks out and gave them all a good look. Started shuffeling with one of the decks I find more appealing. While shuffeling I just knew this wasn't it. The feeling just wasn't right.
I realized I just love my worn standard Rider-Waite. It's a part of me and I just can't let go (yet).

Today I pulled three cards from my beloved deck. The question I asked was: What is the connection between myself and this deck. These where te cards I pulled:

I think these cards really show the connection well.
The II of Cups shows the collaboration between us.
The Empress shows how natural it is for me to work with this deck.
The Queen of Swords shows how clear my readings are with this deck.
But for me she also shows that I'm not looking (well) at the other ones. I'm focused on this one, because of my feelings for it. When I think about it, I know it doesn't matter which one I use.......

But for now, I'm sticking with my good old "standard" Rider-Waite, and I'm happy with it!!

No comments: